Exeter Golf and Country Club host the South West Chef of the Year 2014 Awards
Excitement is building at Exeter Golf and Country Club where the South West Chef of the Year 2014 Awards are being held on Monday 27th October.
With the announcement of the finalists this week, the club is gearing up for this year’s prestigious awards dinner. Exeter Golf and Country Club first hosted the awards last October and the event was declared a huge success and the venue was re-booked for 2014.
The South West Chef of the Year 2014 celebrates the best of the region’s chefs, trainees and dishes. This year’s semi-final demonstrated some of the most competitive cooking the competition has ever seen.
The semi-finals of the Professional, Young Professional and Student Chef classes took place on Saturday 11th October at Exeter College. The judges were left buzzing with excitement at the standard of cooking they witnessed.
These semi-finals took place just a week after the finals of the Junior class and the South West’s Best Dish class (for home cooks) at Ashburton Cookery School, where a gathering of budding young, and not-so-young chefs presented an array of restaurant-quality dishes for the extremely appreciative judges.
The winner of the Junior class was announced following the competition as Melissa Johnson from The King’s School, Ottery St Mary in Devon. Melissa prepared an outstanding dish of roast Ark chicken, chicken leg tortellini, smoked bacon, wild mushrooms, garlic and parmesan.
The winner of the South West’s Best Dish class will be announced at the awards presentation later this month, immediately following the finals of the professional and student chef classes due to take place during the same day.
Chris Jones, General Manager of Exeter Golf and Country Club said, “We are so proud to be hosting the South West Chef of the Year Awards again this year. The awards are so significant within the industry that it is a huge honour for us to be involved as a sponsor, donating our kitchen and venue for the awards evening. Last year’s awards evening was an all-round success and this year we’re expecting it to be even better. Our kitchen brigade love to get involved, taking a step back to prep for the guest chefs, who are winners from previous years!”
The finalists in the Professional and Young Professional classes will be presented with a mystery box of ingredients 30 minutes before the competition begins and asked to create and prepare a three-course menu for the judges. Student Chef finalists will be given two weeks to prepare a new two-course menu incorporating two compulsory ingredients.
All the action of the finals can be followed on Twitter (@SWChefComp) during the day where pictures of finalists’ dishes will be posted for all to view!
The finalists are:
Professional Class Finalists
• Stuart Brown, Senior Sous Chef, Combe House Hotel, Gittisham
• Dale McIntosh, Head Chef, Merchants Manor, Falmouth
• Eddy Rains, Head Chef, The Wheatsheaf, Combe Hay, Somerset
• Dean Westcar, Junior Sous Chef, Manor House Hotel, Castle Combe
Young Professional Class Finalists
• Dan Adkin, Demi Chef de Partie, Lucknam Park, Bath
• Alexander Brownrigg, Demi Chef de Partie, Homewood Park Hotel, Bath
• Daniel Gambles, Chef de Partie, Gidleigh Park, Chagford
• Elly Wentworth, Chef de Partie, Manor House Hotel, Castle Combe
Student Chef Class Finalists
• Emily Colling, Exeter College
• Benjamin Debrecini, Weston College
• Joe Fowler, The Salty Monk, Sidmouth (apprentice)
South West’s Best Dish Finalists
• Steve Ashworth, Taunton
• Oonagh Egerton, Salisbury
• Alexandra Jenkins, Honiton
• Benjamin Martin, Penryn
• Beverley Milner Simonds, Burnham on Sea
Junior Class Finalists
• Melissa Johnson, The King’s School, Ottery St Mary, Devon – WINNER
• Kyeran Francis, Coln House School, Fairford, Gloucestershire
• Kieran Westlake, All Saints Church of England School, Weymouth, Dorset
• Rebecca Winn, Truro High School for Girls, Cornwall
A number of additional awards will be presented during the evening:
• Best Use of Regional Produce
• Best Presentation
• Best Dish
• Best Menu
Some tickets are still available for the presentation evening. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to purchase any on 01626 334841 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org